As part of our comprehensive approach, we will work in depth with you in each of the following areas:
- Goal Setting. The better we understand what is important to you, the better we can help you structure your finances to achieve your goals. Financial advisors can inadvertently try to impose their own goals on their clients. We’ve found the best way to avoid doing so is to use a variety of techniques and approaches to help you clarify and communicate your goals and then help you measure your progress toward achieving them.
- Cash Flow.We’ll help you understand the difference between good and bad debt, make sure you have enough set aside for emergencies and special opportunities, and, if needed, help you gain control over your spending.
- Risk Management. Determining how much coverage you need, what risks you can afford to self-insure, where you should buy your insurance, and how much you should pay for it are vitally important to your financial security. We will discuss these issues in detail and help you spend your insurance dollars wisely.
- Estate Planning. It can be uncomfortable to think about death and what will happen to our loved ones and our possessions after we’re gone. What’s even more uncomfortable is to think about the state deciding what happens because we didn’t take the time to plan.
We will evaluate with you the pertinent estate issues that impact your life and consider choices that you can then implement with your attorney.
- Taxes. You don’t have a choice about paying taxes, but you can avoid making the mistake of overpaying them. While it’s hard to imagine anyone intentionally paying too much in taxes, the IRS estimates that more than one billion dollars is overpaid in taxes each year. That’s no surprise when tax laws change every year—even in years when no major tax legislation is enacted.
We are highly qualified in personal income tax preparation and planning and will work with you to identify the tax-saving approaches that apply to your situation throughout the year, not just when it’s time to prepare your return.
- Retirement Planning. Retirement planning is about achieving financial security and peace of mind. Knowing that you will have enough money, even when the unexpected happens, is critical to any financial plan. Making good Social Security claiming decisions is an integral element of achieving this goal. But retirement isn’t just about money; it’s also about personal fulfillment and enjoyment. It’s what we refer to as “financial independence.” We will help you plan to get the most from your retirement years.
- Education Planning. Saving for college is a significant financial planning issue for most families. Median family income has not increased nearly enough to keep pace with rising college costs. And while there are numerous sources of funding available, identifying the right mix of alternatives and maximizing their use is a complex and confusing process. The good news is that there are ways for families of any income level to effectively save for future college costs, and we can help you determine the best way for you and your family.
- On-Going Consultation. We will work with you to address any other matters that may arise that impact your financial life. Given the all-inclusive nature of our service, we are available to you as needed to address issues as they present themselves. In this way, we make sure they are handled in synchrony with the rest of your financial planning, helping you remain on track to achieving your goals.